Join us for UN CSW67 parallel event “Cities forging the path to gender justice”
UN CSW67 parallel event “Cities forging the path to gender justice”
Four local government representative networks are joining forces at the 67th edition of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW). PLATFORMA, the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR), United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa) and the Standing Committee for the Euro Mediterranean Partnership of Local and Regional Authorities (COPPEM) are organising the NGO CSW Parallel event “Cities forging the path to gender justice | Tools for equality in local life”.
Join us on 6 March in New York to hear from local and regional representatives about how regional Charters for gender equality are key to move from good intentions to effective and impactful change. Exchange on how local and regional governments, in cooperation with civil society and other stakeholders, can propose innovative ways to implement gender equality agendas and achieve the ambitious targets of the SDG5 and all of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Fatimatou Adbel Malick, President of the Nouakchott Region (RIM), President of UCLG Africa
- Silvia Baraldi, City Councillor in Legnago (Italy), Vice-Chair of CEMR Standing Committee for Equality
- Emil Broberg, Regional Councillor in Östergötland Region (Sweden)
- Hilda Maate Businge, Mayor of Hima Town (Uganda), Vice-President Young Elected Officials (YELO) of UCLG Africa
- Rohey Malick Lowe, Mayor of Banjul (Gambia), President of REFELA
- Claudia Schöning-Kalender, Chairwoman of the SPD in Mannheim-Wallstadt (Germany), Chair of CEMR Standing Committee for Equality
When? 6 March at 10:30 AM EST
Where? Church Center of the United Nations (CCUN), 11th floor
How? No pre-registration. Updates and information on this session will be shared on NGO CSW67 Forum. For more information, please contact Jaimie Just, jaimie.just[at]ccre-cemr.org
Don’t miss as well:
- Local and Regional Governments’ Day, organised by UCLG
While in this current moment the rights of diverse women are increasingly under threat, the call for a Feminist Municipal Agenda resonates across the globe. This serves to reiterate the powerful role that local and regional governments can and must play in putting equity, human rights and care at the heart of our communities. In this spirit, our Local and Regional Government’s day will be an opportunity to explore gender equality, feminist local leadership and women’s empowerment in relation to our local and global agendas, as we work towards the Generation Equality Midpoint Moment, the SDG Summit and the Summit for the Future.
When? 7 March, 3:00 PM EST
Where? Riverview Room, One UN Millenium Hotel, 28th Floor
- Local Democracy Talks: Feminist Mayors = Cities for all, organised by SICLD, Delog, FCM, UCLG, CIB & UN Habitat
When? 8 March, 7.00 am EST
How? For more information, please contact globaltaskforce[at]uclg.org
- Local and Regional Governments Empowering All Women through Rights-Based Technologies, organised by UCLG (NGO CSW Parallel event)
This session will highlight how local and regional governments are facilitating gender-sensitive access to technology and innovation. It will showcase and dialogue on how they are harnessing technology to nurture equal, inclusive territories, with new types of local service provision that apply a human rights-based, gender-sensitive approach. It will further highlight the work of local and regional governments to utilize technology as a means to prioritize proximity and care, and bridge the urban-rural digital divides, while ensuring educational, economic and leadership opportunities for women in all their diversity.
When? 9 March, 10.30 am EST
Where? CCUN 11th Floor
How? No pre-registration. Updates and information on this session will be shared on NGO CSW67 Forum. For more information, please contact globaltaskforce[at]uclg.org
Please note that registrations for the official CSW67 events are now closed, but neither of the above-mentioned events require an official accreditation.
Follow the conversation on social media with #CSW67, #LocalEquality, #GenderAction, #SDG5